History of Kent Door & Specialty, Inc.
In 1954, Mr. Louis Mulder started Michigan Door Company in Grand Rapids, Michigan. They manufactured hollow and solid core wood flush doors, and sold nationwide.
In 1968, Mr. John Doig purchased the business from Mr. Mulder, and started another business, called Custom Door Company. Mr. Doig partnered with Mr. Omar Charette (formally with Haskelitte) and they continued making flush doors. They also began to manufacture wood partitions for the furniture industry; sold primarily in the Grand Rapids area.
In 1978, Custom Door Company was sold to Mr. Ron Hees and Mr. Archie Richardson. The name was changed to Custom Doors, Inc., and the company continued in the door business.
New products were added to the flush door product mix, and included a larger marketing plan that encompassed most of West Michigan.
In 1982, when Custom Doors, Inc. relocated, Mr. Dave Hees and Mr. Kevin Smith started Kent Door and Specialty, Inc. Kent Door added many new products and expanded to a larger marketing area, which included all of Lower Michigan and Northern Indiana.
Today, Mr. Dave Hees and Mr. Dave Homrich continue to operate Kent Door and Specialty, Inc. We still manufacture interior flush doors and also distribute interior and exterior wood, steel, and fiberglass exterior door products. Most of the products are primarily sold to a network of lumber dealers and millwork supply companies. From those locations our products are then sold to contractors and homeowners. The target market for Kent Door is the residential and commercial door applications, along with specializing in custom fire-rated door manufacturing and machining.
Kent Door and Specialty, Inc. operates in Grand Rapids, Michigan, in an 83,000 sq. ft. facility. The same building constructed in 1954 by Mr. Louis Mulder.
We hope the tradition of quality service and craftsmanship that have been a part of Kent Door & Specialty, Inc. will continue for years to come.
David G. Hees